Are any of you also closeted reborn moms?

It sucks having to be a closet reborn mom. I have a total of 7 reborns and some limited edition kits I was too nervous they’d sell out like Tobiah, and I am too scared to tell anyone about it. I come on this forum and mainly browse, and I’d love to make a reborn like a lot of other people here, but it’s so intimidating and I am scared if I attempted, I wouldn’t like it. I may get MacPherson’s reborning kit since it seems to be so full of stuff.

Are any of you closet moms? How do you feel about it? And also, what other communities are there besides facebook groups? Most reborn forums I see are dead other than this one, which I truly enjoy. I really dislike facebook and would love to get off it, or just make a new account for groups only altogether…my life has been so much better without FacebookI tend to compare myself to others a lot.

I attempted to tell a friend of mine who was a friend since high school and she told me some HUGE secrets about herself, her marriage, and things she done that I consulted with her about without any judgement.

Soon after I got my 3rd reborn or 4th, I decided to tell her, because I want to tell someone and she went at me as if I was crazy or insane like, “Um…okay?” Then went on to say that I need therapy cause she thinks I am compensating about my past miscarriage and the fact my life I feel is going slower at 29 compared to most other women I know. (When in fact, I had my reborns way before the miscarriage, which tbh I am still depressed about.).

Our relationship has changed within the past few years with her getting married and having a kid. Then the fact she blows me off for other friends who are coupled with kids now. I just stopped making plans with her. But anyways besides that, it offended me and I explained this to my very understanding fiancè.

I hate to be like this but I told him that, “I am more educated than her, who is she to refer me to therapy especially with all the issues she has?” Anyways, I feel even though she was close, it put me off with sharing things.

My fiancè on the other hand, he put up with the first one, but he hated it when I got the others without telling him, because I believe I can buy what I want. But after seeing that I do not treat them like real children, I mainly dress them, and seat them in random places, sometimes cuddling with one on the sofa or laying by one in bed, he too fell in love with them.

He hates for them to be alone in a room, or sometimes he’d put a blanket down and have them all watch a movie with us. Then there is our Dominic Awake who he used to call “Creepy Bastard”, well he looked at her a couple weeks ago…she randomly fell on her back and he said, “Autumn’s kinda cute, she’s not so much of a creepy bastard.”

He thinks though that I should at least share the hobby with my family like grandma, dad, and some cousins, but I’d know how that would turn out. It be like them people who want to talk negative about you, if they feel anything is wrong with you, but they can’t even give you a phone call.

3 Likes

Be you! And do it with confidence. If you want to carry dolls around all day what business is it if anyone else’s? They all do things you wouldn’t do. Do you judge them for it? Nope. Don’t let them judge you. You’re at an age of figuring out who you really are. You’ll grow apart from some friends. Some family won’t be happy with you. You’ll make mistakes. You’ll get other things right. It’s life. And this one is yours. Don’t let anyone tell you how to live it. They have their own life to live.

12 Likes

Can’t say better

2 Likes

Haha, no, my whole family knows I am the creepy doll girl. They tease me about it in a lighthearted way, but they can’t say much as my grandmother also had a lot of dolls.

Be true to yourself, but only do what makes you comfortable. If you don’t want to come out and say “Hey, I collect dolls.” Then maybe just don’t hide it either. If someone comes over don’t tuck the dolls away of close off the dolly room, or wherever you keep them.

If someone comments say; “Yes, I have a few dolls.”

Maybe they think dolls are creepy, maybe they don’t. Don’t let peoples judgement affect your hobby. If someone doesn’t suddenly like you much because of the dolls, then they didn’t like you that much to begin with, and just aren’t worth your time to worry over.

6 Likes

If you went to a therapist and talked about having a miscarriage and a reborn in the same sentence they could possibly tell you it was a good idea for comfort. Don’t let others determine what you do. I am not a closeted reborn mom. I do have two reborns that I have kept. Mostly I enjoy making them but when I make them I carry them around and talk to them and after they are finished I even take them with me to the store to pick out what they go to their new mommies in. I’m not closeted at all. It is my hobby/income and I enjoy it all the way. Nobody looks at me like I’m crazy. (At least not where I can see)

5 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the support. It means a lot.

That is what I told him that it is no ones business what I have in my house. And I do not plan on telling anyone cause I know and would end up telling people off who can’t even so call lend a phone call my way or pick up when I am doing good or bad to judge me.

I told my mom about three of them when he was upset I had more than 1, and she said I make my own money and pay the bills so stuff him. I always enjoyed collecting animals and dolls and even she does with toys and barbies.

And she said the same thing that @Katinafleming said: Friendship is in stages. Some stay, some go, then some come, go, then may get better again at another stage of life.

He is really wanting me to make my own and can’t wait to see me make my own. I don’t know if I do, would I ever have the courage to sell. I already can’t see me getting rid of any of the 7 I have. When I get too many, I may just get an area in my closet or shelf and just rotate.

3 Likes

I think you need to go with your feelings and do what YOU think is best. Friends come and go if you like your babies then so be it. My family started out kind of weirded out by the dolls but now my sister and sister-in-law both have talked about how they would maybe like one for themselves. I am still to new at this to make them for my family or anyone but People do change so all you need to do is be true to YOU. :wink:

4 Likes

No closet for me. I’m right out there and proud of it. I’ve taken mine to stores and restaurants. It’s so much fun. If you want to give making your own a try, go for it. Don’t let other people dictate what you’re allowed to enjoy. If you make and sell a few, they’ll change their tune quickly enough. If not, just don’t talk about it to the naysayers.

4 Likes

I don’t really collect dolls in fact I have never kept a reborn. I do have a few kits that I will at one point make for myself. However, I started to make dolls in 2005, and selling in 2007. My mom is actually the collector and this is how I started.
My kids were young at the time I started. I never wanted them to be teased for what I do. I have 2 boys, and at that time I did not have a studio. My kids told me one day not to worry that I had doll parts in the kitchen because that was my business.
I remember having a hard time sharing that I painted them. Even to friends, and I went this is so dumb.

Over the years I am more comfortable on what I do, and I will share. If I am at Macy’s buying baby clothes and someone asked me about who am I buying for.

I have shared with people I work with and brought one in one day a few years ago. I get mixed reaction but that is fine to each their own. It took me a while to be comfortable but it is who I am. I run a business and dearly enjoy each and everyone I have made. And the connections I have made all over the world. Whatever makes you happy is the main point. You should never be afraid of who you are and what you enjoy. It is no different from collecting stuff animals to other things. My husband is 47 and still plays video games.

7 Likes

I have collected dolls since birth; they are a part of the air that I breathe; my house is FULL of dolls. I have a husband and 2 sons who manage to tolerate my doll habit just as I tolerate their hobbies/collections. Live and let live. I started reborning in 2002 and have a few keeper babies from swaps I’ve been in; they are not going anywhere ~ but I make reborns to sell, not for myself as odd as that sounds. I am planning to make a few keepers, though, some day.

I quit caring a long time ago what anyone thinks of me or my dolls. If someone comes to my house who doesn’t like my dolls, they can just go right back out the same door they came in. Thankfully, I’ve never had anyone say anything negative.

I have taken reborns to work with me, though, and been told they are creepy…lordy, how I LOVE it when I get “creepy” and take it as a compliment meaning they are so realistic that I’ve done my job.

Enjoy your dolls!

11 Likes

Your hobby is no different than one who collects stamps or baseball cards or coins. Hobbies and collections are meant to be enjoyable, that is why we have them. As far as painting them, I just started painting them in May of 2018 and I just LOVE this hobby. It is so relaxing and peaceful and brings joy to me. And I have been able to make my grandchild my niece and now I am working on one for my friends grandchild. I now have a long list of nieces that are waiting in line for me to make them one. I would eventually like to keep one for myself, but I get so much joy in watching them receive the babies. Do what brings joy to you, and dont pay attention to what anyone else thinks. My boyfriend teases me and calls my craft room Dr. Frankensteins lab. Which I have taken a liking to, so now I refer to It as that as well. Haha

4 Likes

I’ve asked a therapist about it once. She said that it’s not weird, as long as it’s not interfering with your life and you realise that they’re not real. Some adults still have stuffed animals that they like to give a cuddle every now and then. There’s nothing wrong with that.

I’ve found that some people love it and some hate it or think I’m a total weirdo. I really don’t care though. I’m not hurting anyone and am enjoying myself.

4 Likes

I’m 72 and still play video games. I love them! There’s no age limit on enjoyment. I still have all my childhood dolls, too.

9 Likes

Very well said, Katina. I agree, but can’t always put things in words so well.

3 Likes

I’m not a closet mommy. I do outings and stuff. Some of my family call we strange and crazy and all that. My grandma has went far enough to call it stupid and to call me stupid for buying them. My uncle and dad used to hate them but I think it’s starting to grow on them. My mom has always just let me do what I want and is always supportive. I have gotten pretty good over the years at ignoring negative comments on anything. My grandma has always had a negative opinion on everything and is not afraid to tell people. But I also think what helps with being confident about my dolls is my grandma on my dads side always had a lot of dolls. That’s where I discovered reborns. Anyway, that was probably confusing but I think you should only tell people when you know your ready and when you tell people, just remember, not everyone will have the same opinion but you just gotta brush it off and not let it bother you.

5 Likes

I appreciate all the comments!

Yes lol I can get that! I am shopping for mine all the time. They have more clothes than what I have. I got an order from Burt’s Bees coming in for them…they had a good sale. I tend to cater towards boys. Right now I want to shop Carters.

I also want a new custom soon. A very red headed Tristan by Jeanne de Lange made off of a toddler in a game I play called The Sims.

And yes, I’ll soon grow comfy. My fiancé is good but when he Skypes his parents, he throws a blanket on them, or whenever maintence comes. He don’t want himself to be seen as girly. I don’t mind that since he became so good with me about them.

I been wanting to take one to work or shopping. I mentioned it a bit to an older lady at work and she said I need my own baby. I do occupational therapy for schools and would love to take mine for work but idk how that would turn out working with children, especially if some of them you can’t explain to most of them verbally about what not to do.

And yes negative people are always gonna have negative opinions of everything hence why I ain’t even gonna bother with anyone. I do a lot of stuff too big for my age but I don’t care. It’s fun to have some kid in you. I enjoy talking about Pokémon to my work kids and beating them at Pokémon trivia. I still love video games and my stuffed and real animals.

You have to tell people it’s not like them reborn dr. Phil women. That is a rare case hence why it is on tv.

1 Like

Such great stories and advice! I am proud to be a part of this forum and the Reborning community!
I started out only wanting one for myself, lol. I have not taken one out but when I moved I did take Saskia in the car with me but she was in a craft case. I don’t think I’d ever take an extended trip without one of them as they are a big part of my life. I haven’t sold one outside of my family yet. The bad stories scare me. I have grown girls so when I had too many I just asked them who wanted what and gave them a few prized ones. Even Saskia, I could always make another. Have fun, enjoy your life the way you see fit. That is awesome that your fiance’ is enjoying them with you. I made a Lion for my husband, but of course he is in my room with me, lol.

3 Likes

Hello. I am sort of a closet person. I’m 46 with 4 children, youngest is 9 oldest is 28. I have a total of 13 unpainted kits and 1 complete. That one is my first that I made for my daughter. My family and close work family knows about it. Some think it’s creepy and I’m crazy. Others think it’s amazing to bring kits to life. I bought so many because as a beginner I had no idea how sales work. I bought all of them on sale or seconds. I’ve been on reborn break since April. But look forward to starting back. Now for those that initially thought it was creepy actually want one if I’d make them one. Now don’t worry about friends that come and go, unfortunately as adults this happens. It makes room for people you’ll meet. And regardless of hobby or therapy it only matters if this is something you enjoy! And a very wise woman once told me, “never explain yourself, you don’t owe anyone an explanation”! These are words I truly live by!! This forum has wonderful ladies who are very talented and kind, this is a very welcoming forum. I’ve also noticed it’s definitely a place to share thoughts, feelings and progress from family to talent it’s a nice “hobby” family to be a part of!! Welcome to the family!! :blush:

3 Likes

@jeanhai I play video games too although lately only on the iPad. I loved The Sims but couldn’t get into Sims 4. My favorite iPad game is The Simpsons Tapped Out, lol!

Hello,

I too am a closet mom. I will be receiving my first reborn in a month and am pretty stoked about it. I honestly never imagined buying one. It was something I knew about and never understood first. Then randomly It kept crossing my mind and I did more and more research on it and tell in love with one in particular that I ended up purchasing. I started buying clothes and things for when she arrives. I then took a step back to reevaluate what I was doing and my thought process and was saying how crazy it seemed to be doing this. Yet, it sounded fun and it’s not hurting anyone. It is something I to tried sharing with a life long friend who knows practically everything about me. When I told her I was buying one she just asked why and when I told her for fun she thought it was creepy and I should use it for a prop for my annual Halloween parties.

I wish I had someone to talk to about this or share this with. I am keeping it from family, friends and my husband due to their judgements.

1 Like