Any tips and tricks on picture taking? (Pic heavy)

I’m having a really hard time capturing realism with my babies. Especially when I get them all lined up. Do you all have any tips or tricks for this? What camera do you use? Thanks, bunches!

7 Likes

I need help with this too ! :camera_flash:

Your background is too busy :slight_smile: Its sucks away light and distracts the eye :slight_smile: I would do a neutral toned background that is very light colored. It doesnt have to be white, but a soft color would be best. White IS best for drawing in light. You also have too little light. You need light to come in from two angles preferrably daylight. Your poses are really cute :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t even think about that quilt being too busy, until you mentioned it! Thank you! I have done pictures against lighter backgrounds, and you’re right it does make a huge difference!

5 Likes

To add to what was already said, I posted a whole tutorial just on picture taking here on the forum. Taking pictures is hard lol Even I struggle sometimes with it, just keep practicing!

5 Likes

IM really not the best at photographing the dolls but I find it’s best to cover up the background with a large blanket, I like white and fluffy. I think they look cute curled up on their side.

3 Likes

Your babies and very cute! I took a photography course last semester and learned SO much. Some tips I have that I found to help me were:
-Keep a simple background. Baby blankets in neutral colors like white or cream work great.
-Check your camera settings and shoot in manual mode. It may take a while to learn manual, but it is so worth it! Pay attention to your white balance and ISO. If you are shooting inside without natural light, the Tungsten and White florescent light settings usually work well for true coloring. And the darker the room, the higher ISO you should use. I’m not sure of the technical reason for it, but the higher the ISO number, the brighter your picture will be.
-Work with natural light when possible. I always shoot my babies in front of a big window so all the light I use is natural. I think it shows off the colors best and most realistically to how they look.
-Don’t use flash. My teacher told me flash creates shadows and makes colors look different. I’ve never used flash so I don’t know if it’s true?
-Play around with posing. I still struggle with posing my babies in natural positions, but boppy and posing pillows help a lot (Which I see you have so use them :wink: )

I am NO professional by any means but these have helped improve my pictures so much (at least I think they did lol) Share more pictures when you’ve taken them!

5 Likes

Wow that’s a great tutorial! I will have to use some of your tips in the future.

3 Likes