Alcohol to thin genesis

I was reading the genesis artists colors website out of boredom/curiousity just now and they said that most artists prefer to use alcohol or genesis thinning medium to thin their paints over using a paint thinner. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever read that or tried alcohol. First, I would think the fumes would get to you from the alcohol. Two, which evaporates faster - alcohol or thinner? I haven’t tried the thinning medium yet…mainly because I forgot that I had it. I am interested to hear opinions on thinning medium and using alcohol. I just bought a large bottle of thinner thanks to the 40% off coupon from Michaels but that stuff evaporates fast.

1 Like

Had it heard about using alcohol? I use the thinning medium to thin the other mediums and only for paint when I am doing lips and finer crease details… The rest if the time, I think with Mona Lisa thinner…

I got this from their website:

While Genesis® Artist Colors can be thinned or cleaned with solvents commonly used with oil paints such as paint thinner, turpenoid and mineral spirits, these solvents are not necessary. Most artists prefer rubbing alcohol or non-toxic Genesis Thinning Medium.

And also about cleaning brushes in the middle of painting with alcohol so I won’t even have to rinse them:

• When cleaning brushes for quick color changes, simply wipe off excess paint, swirl in rubbing alcohol, wipe and repeat. The alcohol quickly cleans and evaporates out of the cleaned brush. You may also clean brushes by using warm water and soap, such as Dawn® dishwashing detergent. Dry your brushes thoroughly after cleaning.*
    http://www.genesisartistcolors.com/
1 Like

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

I got this from their website:

While Genesis® Artist Colors can be thinned or cleaned with solvents commonly used with oil paints such as paint thinner, turpenoid and mineral spirits, these solvents are not necessary. Most artists prefer rubbing alcohol or non-toxic Genesis Thinning Medium.

And also about cleaning brushes in the middle of painting with alcohol so I won’t even have to rinse them:

• When cleaning brushes for quick color changes, simply wipe off excess paint, swirl in rubbing alcohol, wipe and repeat. The alcohol quickly cleans and evaporates out of the cleaned brush. You may also clean brushes by using warm water and soap, such as Dawn® dishwashing detergent. Dry your brushes thoroughly after cleaning.*
    http://www.genesisartistcolors.com/

— End quote

They should know… I may try it for cleaning brushes though…

I clean my brushes with alcohol.

I use alcohol to clean brushes. I did not know it could be used as a thinner.

Has anyone tried the alcohol for the paints yet? I use it to clean my brushes and sea sponges

no I’m a little nervous to try it

Well this morning I tried it and NEVER AGAIN! My baby looks so dirty and I can’t get it all off. The good news is I was doing Nod for a kid and started the warm blushing with the body. I am hoping to be able to make it all blend together when I do the blushing and creases. If not, I will just order a soft.body for it. The paint would not mix with the paint. It was a disaster

— Begin quote from “jamiehelms”

Well this morning I tried it and NEVER AGAIN! My baby looks so dirty and I can’t get it all off. The good news is I was doing Nod for a kid and started the warm blushing with the body. I am hoping to be able to make it all blend together when I do the blushing and creases. If not, I will just order a soft.body for it. The paint would not mix with the paint. It was a disaster

— End quote

Thank you for trying and sharing the disastrous results.

Alcohol can remove genesis paints when stripping a baby I would never use it to thin. First evaporation , second it dries out the vinyl. Ghsp isn’t just used on vinyl though so perhaps it could work on other mediums like canvas

— Begin quote from “jamiehelms”

Has anyone tried the alcohol for the paints yet? I use it to clean my brushes and sea sponges

— End quote

I use it with paints, but only with the flesh layers because i want them to flash quickly. It flashes almost instantly. I would never use it for washes. because it evaporates in the mixing dish, i know i use more of it than when i use thinner.

Which thinner did you get at Michael’s? I’ve looked for all kinds of things to reborn with and Michael’s nor Joanns had anything I could use. No Paint, hair, needles. Nothing. Polyfil, and brushes maybe. Everything I’m buying is online only. So frustrating.

This post is 5 years old. I use Mona Lisa brand thinner. Some Michael’s stores in the US stopped carrying it. The ones here in Canada still have it

1 Like

I’ve used alcohol as thinner since 2015. Love it.

What makes you love the alcohol over thinner? I would like to try it but the above post scared me off!