Air dry users. Help please

With the downfall of genesis. Can those who successfully use air dry tell me the paint you use? I have been using genesis since i started many moons ago and i am scared to learn something new. But im wanting to try.

Thanks in advance.

I use Ultimate Fusion Air dry. Sue Ellen Taormina has several groups dedicated to it on FB. She also has tutorials on Patreon, I believe.

Studying through those helped me make the switch about a year ago. It’s quite easy and not as daunting as you might think!

3 Likes

Thank you. I will look into that.
It would be nice to not have to bake the paint anymore

1 Like

I love my air dry paints. It’s much faster than having to do all that baking and cooling before you can add another layer. I use Liquitex Professional Soft Body and Heavy Body. Either works just fine. The Heavy Body is thicker so a little more pigmented. I mix my own colors and just add a small amount of Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel and distilled water to the paints. No need for multiple mediums and thinners. I started with a beginner set of 6 primary colors and added more along the way. I like that I can just go buy them at Michael’s and I like the results I get. They’re also less expensive than ones ‘specially formulated for reborning’. Check out my babies in Snugglebuns Nursery on reborns.com. They were all done with air dry.
This may help as far as mixing colors if you go with Ultimate Fusion. It should be similar, if not exact, to any brand of air dry. Air dry is a less forgiving than Genesis but once you get the hang of it I think you’ll like them. Even Genesis has a learning curve. I suggest getting some practice parts to try things out on. I strip and re-use mine.

4 Likes

Check out @RebornsbyZebra youtube channel

6 Likes

I use ultimate fusion as well, and sometimes Amsterdam (a Dutch brand similar to Liquitex). I still struggle with making Amsterdam thin enough, but don’t have that problem with ultimate fusion.
Ultimate fusion has a Facebook group with tutorials and they include info on how to easily switch over from genesis.
I tried genesis at first but never got the hang of them. Tried air dry and never looked back. I love how I can just sit and paint without having to get up to bake and wait for it to cool and such.

2 Likes

Thanks ladies. I havent painted a doll in over a year since my oven died. Maybe this is my sign to give it s try.

1 Like

I did my first with air dry it’s limbs went chalky, found heat set used that for many years. Then grandson has asthma and so do I went back to air dry and use a combination of luquitex and golden. First one I did I stripped 3 or 4 times before I was happy with it. There is a learning curve but I love not having to heat my parts between layers. I go to a crafting group and don’t have to worry about exposing other people to the fumes.

1 Like

I use Waterborne Air Dry paints. I love them. https://hunnybunsrebornsupply.com/

2 Likes

I also use Liquitex Soft Body Paints and varnish with Americana Ultra Matte. I mix a little bit of Genesis Matte Gel in my paint mixtures too.

1 Like

I startred with Waterborne, switched to Liquitex Soft and Heavy, coached by @jeanhai :slightly_smiling_face: Sometimes I mix the two together with awesome results. I do not prime my kits and use the primary method starting with red. I also use Pan pastels for creases and enhancements. And I use Derwent Inktense pencils.

3 Likes

Thanks ladies.

I guess im just nervous i wont be able to achieve the same results with air dry. These are some of my genesis babies.

3 Likes

I use liquitex too and love them

1 Like

I have used both Genesis and a variety of air dry paints. For those marketed as reborn paints I like Ultimate Fusion. However, my favorite of all is Golden Fluid Acrylics. I also like some of the Liquitex Soft Body paints and Mattisse Flow.

2 Likes

I have tried some reborning paint (Luminaire, RebornFx and UF) but I prefer by far Golden with the medium. Still use some colors in RebornFX and their primer.
The thing to avoid chalky baby is to use skin color/white with parcimonie and a lot of dilution.
I use the primary color method, it’s easy and gives beautiful results.
I suggest to paint cheap kits or test parts to get used to it, to the ratio paint/medium/water. It dries quickly, but you learn fast how to work your pieces.

4 Likes

You can still get very vibrant coloring if desired. These are some Liquitex babies I made. (I use Liquitex with all my dolls)

9 Likes

I use Che air dry paints and I love them. For me theyre so much easier and faster than ghsp

1 Like

Is she still doing the paints? I thought she quit? @cher_simnitt

Wish i knew. It has been almost two years since my last order, and i dont even recall her website.

@paula_farcas might be able to answer your question. @raymasreborns @trapple575 ??