Air dry paint useres

I just got back from EMS conference and I was asked if I could do CPR maniquins. I have no idea how to take those things apart and they are several hundred dollars. i was wondering what kind of air dry paints are best

I use the luminaires paint, just thin them down with water to the constancy of water paints and go.

I use the luminaire also. Mainly because then I don’t have to worry about finding the right skin colors since they are pre-mixed. Luminaire says you can use acrylic thinner (which they sell) or water to thin their paints. I know some artists are saying not to use water because of the binders getting too thin, others are saying to use water because the thinners make the babies shiny. I sometimes add thinner but usually use water. I’ve also heard that some people use flow medium but I have not found that yet.

Luminaire paints are easy to use and dry fast so you can go onto the next layer. I love them. As for prepping, use Deltacoat sealer. Do not use the liquidtex matte varnish for the top layer though. It creates a foggy layer. There are tutorials for air dry in the tutorial area or I posted one on CORA. Just try to get a different top sealer. If they don’t mind the shine, I love the Deltacoat Satin Varnish. It leaves the skin better feeling, not rough like some sealers. The luminaire sealer works and doesn’t leave a film but feels a little rough and awful to me…I just have always hated the feel of matte even in wall paint. Also remember to thin the sealer and varnishes with water before applying. Or you can use the genesis sealer but then you have to bake them.

It isn’t as hard as it sounds and you might find out you love air dry paints. They are simple to use as long as you thin them. About 1/3 paint or less for skin but thin the vein color or use matte gel to thin them…that blue shows up more when it dries so pounce!!! One of the ladies on CORA adds a little green to her blue for veins. So on the luminaire, I add some of the green color corrector…makes a lovely vein. Under their preemie and hispanic class, they have some great vein placement photos.

If you need more help, just holler!

Hi everyone. New to posting but have visited the forum alot and learned aloy to. I’ve been reborning for about five years now. started out with genisis paints went to LDC air dry paints and now I’ve tried luminair paints. That being said Ihave a doll that i painted with luminair and it has a slight tacky feel to it. What can i do to fix it? thanks so much.

I’ve had the tacky feel when the first layer of sealer was put on too thick. I use the deltaceramacoat sealer but found that it doesn’t need much at all. I haven’t found a real solution other than either waiting to see if time helps depending on how sticky it is or trying another layer of the varnish at the end but most of the time you are going to have to strip the kit back if it is bad. It isn’t the paint on mine that gets sticky, its’ the sealers that I had problems with. The monkey I made had a tacky feel but it has been a few months. I’ll check it today and see if time made a difference.

Thanks for letting me know. I generally use the LDC paints but thought I’d give luminaire paints a try. Think I’ll stick with them.

Thank you ladies! I am having enternet issues and can only get online at work right now! I will see if I can find some for sale!

There are some things you need to consider about these. The vinyl type: Is it soft vinyl or hard vinyl?

If the vinyl is soft it is possible that it is a silicone mix vinyl or something very similiar like the Ashton Drake vinyl. If that is the case, air dry paints will not stick to it unless you first prime it with Genesis heat set matte varnish. Air dry sealers won’t work to prime it as they go sticky on these type vinyls. I think you said you can’t take it apart to heat set…

If the vinyl is hard, sometimes air dry paints will rub off this type vinyl because it does not have enough “tooth” to it. This can be solved by priming the vinyl first with Delta Ceramcoat All Purpose Sealer, painting the doll and then final sealing it with an air dry matte sealer. The paint will stick this way but the doll will have a sheen. There is no way to have a totally matte doll using air dry sealers. Of course, it still will look better being repainted with a sheen than no repaint at all.

For more info and tips on air dry paints: http://lildumplins.webs.com/variouspaintingmethods.htm

Ty for the info. They are soft but I am not sure soft enough to be silicone. They have to be durable enough to stand up tro punishment of teaching CPR. I will look into the way they are made.

Just to let you know I’ve had a spot of paint come off the back of the hand of one of my babies after sealing. Not sure what happened. I’ve had it happen before in a spot that wasn’t finished but not after the final sealant layer. Going to try to find out what is happening but wanted to let you know. Not sure if it is peeling in that spot from the first layer of deltacoat sealer not adhereing to the vinyl or if it got rubbed somehow. Panicing!!!

Ty Jessie I hope you figure it out! I love GHSP but no way am I taking something that costs as much as they do apart!

— Begin quote from “djjessie228”

Just to let you know I’ve had a spot of paint come off the back of the hand of one of my babies after sealing. Not sure what happened. I’ve had it happen before in a spot that wasn’t finished but not after the final sealant layer. Going to try to find out what is happening but wanted to let you know. Not sure if it is peeling in that spot from the first layer of deltacoat sealer not adhereing to the vinyl or if it got rubbed somehow. Panicing!!!

— End quote

Try wiping that spot down with alcohol to clean it and let it evaporated before painting. Sometimes vinyl just has spots that are like that an in those cases the best thing is to prime with Genesis heat set matte varnish. The other option is to try buffing it ever so lightly with a fine grit buffing block before you put the Delta sealer on it. Let the sealer dry a couple hours before painting.

Here’s some info on my blog about using Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel.

http://lildumplinsnursery.blogspot.com/