Air Dry artists

Hello all. Years ago I was a Berenguer reborn artist with my sister @Katinafleming. She got back into it & has got me wanting to do it again too. I really want to try the air dry technique. She does the baking so her knowledge on the air dry is somewhat limited. I would love to see your air dry babies. So show them off please. I am pretty much starting from scratch so any advice would be greatly appreciated. What must need supplies do you recommend for this technique? Favorite paints? Favorite brushes? Favorite order to paint? Favorite primer/sealer? Favorite anything else? I would love to hear any advice you guys have!
Thanks in advance for any help,
Starla

Hi, Starla. I use Liquitex Professional Soft Body and Hard Body acrylic paints with a little bit of Liquitex Ultra Matte Gel mixed in. I mix my own colors. I like that I can just go buy them at Michael’s and that they don’t need any special mediums-just distilled water. I use Americana Soft Touch Varnish with a little cornstarch added for sealing. I usually don’t seal my babies before painting unless the vinyl is shiny. The best advice I have is buy good brushes and cosmetic sponges without any additives. Here are some of my air dry babies.

DSCN0015

DSCN0232

DSCN0511

Hi and welcome! Posting a couple pics before I go to sleep. I use baby fx paints which have been discontinued. My paint medium is Golden satin glazing liquid. I mix In some distilled water too. My sealing varnish is Americana soft touch varnish with some cornstarch mixed in. Just using cheap Walmart paint brushes but do have some elf makeup brushes I use for creases and hard to reach areas. My biggest pet peeve for airdry is the lint. I look over my pieces each time I get ready to paint a layer, and remove any fuzzes I see. Right after painting I blow it dry with the hair dryer so there is less time for the wet paint to collect lint.

Beautiful babies. I’ve never had a problem with lint. Do you live in a humid area?

Thank you. Summers are humid. I’m in Pa.

This was my 3rd air dry baby done with RebornFX.! Her coloring doesn’t show up to well, think it’s the black background, kind of washes it out. IMG_1760|375x500

Sorry, I don’t know what happened, I tried to edit the post and the picture disappeared. Here it is again.

I paint mostly with miracle blend, but they’re being discontinued. I’m slowly trying to switch over to regular acrylics.

I can tell you that I use WaterBorne paints, sold by Hunnybuns.com They have been great, and her prices are very reasonable compared to some of the others. Also, her customer service is excellent. AND, if you need a color you don’t have and can’t make yourself, she will formulate it for you. At no extra cost. She ships as fast as BB. I don’t think anyone ships faster than that. :slight_smile: Also, these paints come with basic instructions. She also has books on her site that you can purchase to help. AND, April Yap, from this forum, has tutorials that help to use her paints and others.

Your babies are beautiful!

Your babies are beautiful, too!

I’ve never had a problem with the lint either. I have not said that before as I did not want to jinx it! :slight_smile:

I started with Liquitex soft body, Jo Sonja, and LDC pants. I now only use Golden fluid and high flow plus some RebornFX from MacPhersons. I also use Panpastel artist powders, mainly for creasing and blushing. For mediums I use Golden satin glazing liquid, retarder, and a tiny amount of wetting agent mixed with distilled water this mix I keep in a bottle and use it as if it were thinner like people who use GHSP.

I use Golden fluid paints, matte medium, and retarder medium. I’ve recently started playing with satin glazing liquid, which I tried before but it just didn’t go well. Now that I know what I’m doing, I’m trying again. :blush:

Thank you so much.

WOW! Your work blows me away! These dolls look as if they are in some pricey boutique! Beautiful, beautiful work!

What is the wetting agent you put in your distilled water. I don’t think I have heard of that before and I would like to check it out. Thanks!

Oh, well, thank you very much :blush:
The wetting agent is a Golden product but you have to be careful not to use too much. I have an old small varnish bottle and I put a small squirt in the bottom of the bottle and fill the rest up with distilled water. Here is the link so you can read about it on the Golden site https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_flreleas

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help here.

Lil, I looked it up and it is only sold at Michael’s in my area. I will have to check there the next time I go. It can also be ordered online, but I prefer to skip the postage if possible. :slight_smile: Thanks so much for the tip.