Advise pls! hubby said no more dolls until new oven!

ok so my husband doesn’t want me using our oven anymore to set my paints!!! The fumes were hurting his stomach so he googled it at and found some articles saying not to use the same oven you cook your families food in cause its harmful etc… so that was all he had to read and he said no more till i can figured something else out. I was sad cause i was just getting into this and still have more kits I want to do. But i dont want to harm my husband and I and most importantly of two precious children!! so any advise for what i could bake in?? I only want to use the Genesis paints. My husband is an electrician so he said he would hook up an outlet in the garage for another oven!!! what do all of you ladies use!!!

what about a toaster oven???

I use our oven for about a year now and no issues . Sorry I have thought about a different one for summer but I did not come up with anything acceptable to me. If you use a toaster make sure it is large enough to keep baby away from too much heat.

I use a Big Boss Rapid Wave Oven with 3’'extension ring. I works good and I haven’t had any problems with it. Although I will have to figure something out for Tessa legs because they don’t fit in it. lol, that sounds kinda funny.

Several ladies use large toaster ovens, turkey roasters, and halogen ovens!!! I am sure they will be able to help out with the sizes they use!!!

I use a convection oven and bake outside on the patio. I love this convection oven because it does not have exposed elements – DO NOT TRY TO USE A TOASTER OVEN – it will burn for sure.

Others have used turkey roaster ovens (you’ll find them cheap now at places like Walmart & Target, or online) – My convection oven is large enough to hold the Taylor/Tibby straight leg, but just big enough. I actually put a washcloth on the end of the leg, (not the foot) to prop it away from the wall of the oven and have baked them with no problems - so again, I am attributing that to no exposed elements, otherwise it could burn.

Check out yardsales too - my sister found a Big Wave for next to nothing at a yard sale and she uses that all the time.

thanks ladies!! looks like I have some shopping to do!!!

— Begin quote from “Windeec”

How does one use the turkey roaster? I have one for the holidays, but it is just too big of a pain to clean, so I still oven roast, in aluminum pans, of course!

— End quote

While I don’t use that type of oven, I’m sure others will give some direction here, but I’ve read that you must use a layer of something on the bottom (polyfill, and/or an old cloth (smooth like maybe diaper material) get it to temperature, then place the vinyl part and bake.

I would recommend though since I don’t use the turkey roasters - give this thread some time for others who do use it this to reply.

I using a turkey roaster for the past 2 + years and have not had any problems. My mother has one of my first dolls and it looks perfect still so I know temp is not a problem. I do bake each piece at 275 for 12 mins, which allows the oven to return to temp once you open the lid to put your parts in. I have the bottom lined with a plain white cloth

1 Like

— Begin quote from “Ginnylee”

— Begin quote from “Windeec”

How does one use the turkey roaster? I have one for the holidays, but it is just too big of a pain to clean, so I still oven roast, in aluminum pans, of course!

— End quote

While I don’t use that type of oven, I’m sure others will give some direction here, but I’ve read that you must use a layer of something on the bottom (polyfill, and/or an old cloth (smooth like maybe diaper material) get it to temperature, then place the vinyl part and bake.

I would recommend though since I don’t use the turkey roasters - give this thread some time for others who do use it this to reply.

— End quote

I’ve used a roaster for a turkey once inthe past (not the same one I use to bake dolls of course) this was a few years ago and it was a pain to clean just because it is big but there is a metal pan that is basically the size of the whole roaster that you lift out to wash. We only used it once when we made a turkey and a ham but this year we are doing two turkeys two different ways both in the regular oven

i just bought a black and decker convection oven that can hold the head standing up and all the limbs!!! pretty excited! im just preheating it now!!!

Walmart has turkey roasters 16 qrt size for $25

Cher how are you?

— Begin quote from “RobinRoseCreations”

I use a sun oven, their expensive, but how precious is the health of your children. Bountiful Baby directions explains not to heat the dolls over 265 degrees. Their is a reason for that. Not because the doll will melt, because the fumes are toxic. You might not experience any short term effects from the fumes, but you could develope different kinds of cancers years down the road and so could your children. You husband was very wise. My father in law, never smoked, never drank, and came down with bladder tumors. The doctors said it was from exposure to something. He did work in a factor for years exposed for different kinds of fumes. When I use my sun oven outside, I let the temperature reach 300 degrees for about 10 minutes and the doll doesn’t melt, but very very soft after coming out. I hold my breath to open the door and stand way back, watching all the fumes fly out. I like how the paint sets. Also, since useing the sun oven, I haven’t had to use the matt varnish. There is no shine to the doll. Not trying to scare everyone, but anything over 265 is very dangerous to you and your childrens health. Oh, I would like to add that it is November and I just bake a doll outside. I think I’ll be able to continue baking outside until it gets in the 20’s. Right know we have 60’s and 70’ in Tennessee. But the oven is supposed to work at 30’s temperatures as long as the sun is bright. If interested go to sunoven.com

— End quote

You are absolutely right and I agree - there is no point in risking the health of anyone for a hobby