Advice/ help with painting full body

I bought my daughter a Harper boy kit. She is so excited and bugging me to start but I’m nervous about the body. Any advice on where the undertones go and how to make it look realistic. I’m using genesis. Pics of any you did would be great too.

Here’s the one I did recently----I used this pic since I thought you wanted to “see” his whole body. Hope it helps. I don’t have a good camera so the color barely shows up. Much more colorful in real life. sorry.

edit to add: Now that I look at him, he won’t be helpful at all, his color isn’t showing at all.

3 Likes

I have the same problem with cameras. I can see the blue undertones down the middle of his chest. It’s so hard to find pictures to look off of because most people don’t post the full body, I guess it bothers some people. They usually just have the shirt open some. Thanks for trying. I can see some details.

Here’s a few of the Harper I made a couple years ago
He was precious and I’d love to make another
Have fun with your Harper he is a sweetheart

4 Likes

I’ve reborned Harper a couple of times ~ he practically paints himself :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you all, that really helps. She is thinking she wants me to leave him bald and I think he looks pretty cute that way so yay for no rooting this time.

1 Like

Again, I may be in the wrong place, but I do not know how to ask a question or anything in a line by itself. :slight_smile: On a forum, not sure if it is this one, but I read that Winsor & Newton makes a product that will take the paint of the baby all the way back to the vinyl. I need to know the actual products name. Thanks!

Windsor and Newton Brush Cleaner and Conditioner is the name of the product that most of us use to strip paint from vinyl. Make sure to Re-wash your vinyl very well after stripping.

I I made a special trip into town to purchase the Winsor & ? It did nothing for my kit. I ended up having to use the acetone which I did not want to use on my kit. But it did the job. I immediately pit the parts in a very warm bath with Dawn. It came out still very soft. So tomorrow I plan to start on it again.

Stripping a doll is not an easy task. You need to work at it. Is it painted with GHSP? if so the W & N should have taken it off, it takes a little elbow grease. If it is painted with air dry paint then I understand 91% alcohol will remove it.

It was air dry paint. I did finally get it all off. So I am ready to repaint now. :slight_smile: The W & N did nothing for it. I don’t know why or why not. Of course, even with the acetone it takes elbow grease. :slight_smile: I was concerned that it might damage the vinyl, but it didn’t. I was so happy about that! :slight_smile: I am like most beginners, I suspect, in that I am learning with each doll as I go. Thanks for your reply!

Just be carefull with acetone for not soaking the creases, that can melt the vinyl. I always do the “hard work” with acetone, then finish with alcool. I found the finish is smoother and the paint stick better with alcool.

So now, you are ready to go ! Great ! :grinning:

1 Like