A shipping question

I have a customer wanting to purchase a baby from me but shes in Canada. So far I’ve only shipped in the US. How different is it to ship to Canada other then the shipping cost of course.

1 Like

Shipping to Canada or to any other country is not that different. At USPS post office they will give you a yellow sheet that you have to fill out with your and your buyer’s information. Depending on the baby’s weight, make sure you charge a bit more for shipping. From my experience, shipping a newborn size baby to Canada was about $60-$70 dollars. Good luck and I hope everything goes well. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info :grin::+1:

I am scared to ship to other countries. How much do the cover on insurance? How do you figure out the chargers or do you guestimate if you really don’t know the weight? How do you know which countries are safe to ship?

You need to wright out a customs sheet which is just listing the items in the box and their value. Once shipped customs will assess the duties and taxes put on it and the buyer may have to pay customs fees upon delivery of the package

Do you know how much they insure for?

It is illegal to lie about the value of the items in the box but you can insure it for what ever amount you want but if anything happens you need proof of value. As for customs fees and duties and taxes it’s hard to figure those out as it’s all up to customs

1 Like

For the record - and I’ve said it lots on this forum - toys, baby clothes and hobbies are duty-free in Canada. You can mark that on the box and it might help. What most people end up paying for is brokerage fee which is a fee the postal carrier charges to bring it from the US into Canada - it is based on a percentage of the overall worth of the product.

2 Likes

I just shipped a baby to Canada for the very first time last week! I packed my baby up as usual, then went to the Post office. They helped me fill out a customs form. I listed each type of thing in the box and quantity and price: 1 collectible doll $450, 6 baby clothes $20 dollars. It doesn’t have to exact, you can guess a little. They allowed me to purchase extra insurance to cover the baby. And then they shipped her away!
It was soooo much easier than I’d worried myself up about.
My total shipping with added Insurance was 68 dollars. It usually costs me almost 50 in the US, so it wasn’t too much more to ship to Canada!
I’m still waiting for baby to arrive to new mom though. It’s been a nerve wracking week.

2 Likes

I believe they cover up to $200 insurance. So I always take that. You do not need to guess the price. If you know the exact weight, you can go on to USPS website and their price calculator, fill in the package information and you will get exact price. If not, you can go to the post office and they will weight the package for you. Don’t worry, it is not that bad. I shipped to many countries in the past. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would always make sure the person, in the other country, is aware of possible duty and/or brokerage fees. Some are not and refuse to accept a package that they paid $450 for (that equals $590 CAD), shipping (90 CAD) and then end up with another high fee upon pick-up. It is very frustrating for the seller when they realize the doll is being sent back, at the seller’s expense, and you have to re-reimburse the value…

1 Like

Oh yes! Very good advice. I did inform them they were responsible for any fees.

1 Like

Depending on your location, shipping to Canada can be more difficult. I’m in a rural area. The small town post offices don’t mess with customs forms. So I have to drive 30 miles to a bigger post office. Keep that in mind if you’re in a small town.

1 Like