10" 'Reborn' Doll Kits - Are they stolen copies of legit sculpts?

I’m sure a lot of us have come across these 10" dolls, I’ve seen them both as blank doll kits and I’ve also seen the same dolls that have been factory painted and they are often advertised as ‘reborn dolls’ - now, we know that factory painted dolls certainly are not reborn dolls but my question is:

Are these little 10" dolls illegally reproduced copies of a legit sculpt and are they just being advertised as ‘reborn dolls’ to hide the fact that they are stolen/illegally reproduced copies?

I’ve seen a lot of them that have been reborned and I’m wondering if the kits are fake copies. I do not agree with painting stolen/copied kits and I have always wondered about these dolls because I’ve never seen a legit reborn kit that looks just like this one but I’m still curious as to whether these are copies or not :thinking:

I’ve added a photo of a ‘reborned’ version of the female doll that I keep seeing each time a listing for one of the blank doll kits pops up on eBay and also a photo of the blank doll

1 Like

I believe these are factory dolls from China. Not all the China kits are copies.

1 Like

Oh haha! Yes, I know that not all of them are but I’ve seen quite a few reborned versions and I was curious as to whether they were copies or if they were an original design by a company in China, which is great! I had one of the factory painted dolls a while ago when a company scammed me and sent me one of these dolls but it was hideously factory painted :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure but I think these two are original design. I don’t know why they don’t just sell their own unfinished kits. Some of the ones that aren’t copies are really cute.

2 Likes

I’m so leary of getting dolls now. There’s even knockoffs of Beringer dolls.
And even if what’s shown is the real thing, who’s to know if that’s what you’ll get?
All that aside, that top pic doll is cute. I want. Lol

2 Likes

I actually bought the female and male quite a few years ago and just recently got around to reborning them. I think I bought them from Dolls by Sandie or Dolls So Real-----anyway it was one of the common suppliers. They are pretty cute all finished and I don’t think they are stolen sculpts. (I sure hope not). I have had mine for a really long time though.

2 Likes

But even Dolls by Sandie has been accused of selling knockoffs lately. I’m too skeptical of them now to buy Beringers or kits. I’m currently trying to decide if I even want to continue giving them by business when it comes to just accessories like honeybugs and blankets and booties, etc.

2 Likes

Dolls by sandie used to sell these, until recently…sandie did state that these among a few others were sold to her by NPK and she “didn’t know they were anything more than just cheap dolls” but another sculptur (id have to dig on FB to find the post with the SS) stated that these dolls were a original mini sculpt before NPK stole em

2 Likes

Oh no, really… the Berenguer dolls are being copied now too? What is wrong with these companies? What do they get out of illegally reproduceding dolls like that?

You know, I’ve seen lots of illegally reproduced Maddie by Bonnie Brown doll kits for sale - the legit Maddie costs at least £120 GBP here, I think its the same amount in other countries or thereabouts. The illegal copies are being sold for like $50 maybe, what kind of profit are these companies making out of the kits that they sell?

It doesn’t even seem worth it to put the effort in to reproduce the kit and then sell it for such a cheap price. More and more people are becoming aware now though that there are lots of fake kits on the market and hopefully their sales will slow down

1 Like

Oh dear, so they were stolen then? Well, that’s just disappointing. I thought that they were possibly original kits made by a Chinese company but honestly, you never know nowadays

I shall avoid buying these kits then lol

1 Like

They really should do, the vinyl isn’t always the best quality but to be honest, given the prices that they charge for their kits, should we expect them to be like the high quality reborn doll kits?

I don’t get the point of stealing someone else’s kits if they can make their own and sell them. Perhaps if these companies did that, reborn artists wouldn’t have to worry about whether their kits are fake or not

1 Like

They Don’t care!! They mass produce the doll sculpts the steal by the thousands so the price to produce them is probably very minimal, they make a few bucks, that’s seems to be good enough for them. We have a lot of wonderful people in the reborn world that Will NOT buy them BUT there are some people out there that simply Don’t care that they are stolen sculpts, they buy them cause they are ‘cheap’ and they are ‘available’. Many of the sculpts they steal are long sold out and so people just figure “hey I want that sculpt and I can’t get it any other way, so why not buy it from a swindler”!!! They are the ones that keep these creeps in business!!

3 Likes

I would also add that they can make some kind of profit because they use far inferior vinyl, some of which has even been found to be dangerous to our health. There are a lot of things these people do (who have no morals or even decency about them). It really is sad that they are that way, but it is even more sad that they are stealing from professional sculptors that we get our dolls from. These people work hard and long to get a doll out into circulation.

3 Likes

Well, this is precisely why I posted this as I’ve always been curious about these little dolls.

I will never buy illegally copied and reproduced reborn doll kits, I fell into their trap many years ago when I got into reborning and I knew nothing about the illegally reproduced doll kits and how destructive they are to the sculptors and to the reborning world. The fake kit that I mistakenly purchased was smelly, it had a strong chemical and… perfumed smell to it? Not sure why but it smelt so bad of really nasty perfume and my stupid self decided to try and paint the kit - the paint would not stick to the vinyl and I baked the kit too :woman_facepalming:t2: Now, admittedly this was perhaps the 5th reborn doll that I had tried to make, so I was completely new to everything. It made my oven smell so bad like horrible chemicals and the strong perfume smell would not go away at all, even after thoroughly cleaning the oven which was a countertop halogen oven. I had to buy another and I used what I could from the original oven as spare parts lol but it was so bad that I had to replace the oven otherwise the other kits that I baked would smell just as bad as that did.

That is possibly one of the worst things that I have purchased for reborning and now I will never touch those fake, nasty doll kits again.

You know, if I search for ‘reborn doll kit’ on eBay, I can scroll for at least 5 minutes before I find a legit kit from a trustworthy seller - I’m not even joking, this is how bad this situation has gotten

2 Likes

Well, I suppose that there is that, that they do use cheap and nasty materials. I know that the vinyl that they use is nowhere near as good as the reborn doll kit vinyl - I fell into the fake kits trap when I first started reborning and the kit that I got was a cute little thing, I will admit that which is why I bought the doll. It was an illegally reproduced copy which I learnt many years later and the vinyl was so cheap and nasty. It smelt so bad of chemicals too and also nasty perfume. I guess that’s what you get if you pay $25 for a kit though but I am staying well away from those nasty kits, not just to protect the sculptors and to support them but also because the cheap vinyl that they use has nasty chemicals in it and it can be far more toxic than the legit reborn doll kit vinyl

2 Likes

I painted one of these for my 2 year old granddaughter, in fact it was painting this doll that made me want to buy kit and attempt proper reborning

5 Likes

This is so true! As a collector, I basically gave up looking on there.

1 Like

I’m not saying that there is nothing wrong with what they do- but it is also makes sense this would happen since sculptors send their kits to China for production. When you think about it, why wouldn’t some of these workers maybe do an underground business etc given the fact that they are paid pennies on the dollar with severe work conditions. The fact that not just sculptors but most other American companies is ok with this to maximize profit is also concerning. I feel it’s not just about “poor” sculptors having their work stolen (since they willingly send their work to a country that does not honor trademark laws)- it is a systemic issue as well. So far the only doll company I’ve found to keep production in the US is Secrist Dolls. Just about all legit designer handbags are produced in China- and luxury companies wonder why so many higher quality replicas are produced? Just saying, we need to start at the base of this issue and get production back into the company’s country of origin.

Huge difference in Legitimate factories and those that will steal and make knock offs.
A sculptur should be allowed to have their work produced wherever they want to, without having to worry about it being stolen.
It is :100::100::100: the “poor” sculpturs because all that work hard is being ripped off and there is NEVER a good reason nor excuse

3 Likes